BLOG HAS MOVED

This blog is now closed.

Please go to the new blog, Desert Island Mixtapes for all the latest posts.

Http://desertislandmixtapes.wordpress.com

Monday, January 9, 2012

Introducing Damien Fairchild and "For All the Girls"

"When a psuedonymous project out does myself, I understand why I can't be myself."

So says former-road-warrior-play-500-shows-a-year-singer-songerwriter-now-owner-of-the-Danburry-Barbershop-and-all-around-good-guy, Drew Danburry of his new alter-ego Damien Fairchild and his music project, "For All the Girls" and the 51,000 views one of his new music videos has garnered on youtube.

I knew Drew in college and have written about him before.  His brand of oft-lo-fi acoustic pop brims with optimism and sunny skies while often delving into fairly dense material.  Having given up the touring lifestyle and settling down as a killer barber (no sweeney todd reference intended), he is still putting out music.  His first alter-ego was in form of Sebastian Salazar, front man of "The Apache" and self-described as the meanest person on earth.

As Damien Fairchild he takes on just about the opposite.  He writes as a teenage boy, enamored with girls and boasting an already long list of broken hearts.  Explaining the new project, he explains:

"In 2010, I felt like I had hit a brick wall with music. I'd been touring nonstop and trying to make a living playing music for at least 6 years straight. Music was no longer fun. It was filled with pressure and expectation. And more than anything, I really wanted to enjoy making music again. To go back to the beginning and to start again.

So I created a character named Damien Fairchild, to write songs through, similar to a method actor.

Creating a pseudonym and staying in character, may strike some as dishonest, but for me it was a necessary creative outlet. It was never meant to be a mean spirited prank, and if I may, I'd like to apologize if you've felt annoyed or confused by the project.

It's a fine line between sharing your music with others and maintaining your privacy and I guess I'll never have both. But I am happy to be making music again, and I can only hope there are some people out there who are happy about it, too."


 The latest is "Valerie"


The full-length LP will be released on Valentines Day, February 14, 2012.

Until then, enjoy the singles and these videos.











1 comment: