BLOG HAS MOVED

This blog is now closed.

Please go to the new blog, Desert Island Mixtapes for all the latest posts.

Http://desertislandmixtapes.wordpress.com

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Blue Scholars first concert of 2010 in Lincoln Nebraska

 


The University of Nebraska - Lincoln University Program Council brought in Blue Scholars for a concert tonight at the Bourbon Theatre here in Lincoln.  Needless to say, I was baffled by their fabulous selection.  

Although I listen to a lot of hip-hop (small selection, but lots of playtime on my iPod), I have never been to a hip-hop show.  I have always been afraid that the one DJ, one MC on stage might bore me after a while.

Sabzi and Geo did NOT disappoint though.  Man, they held my attention and had me rocking around like a fool for a full hour and a half.  They played a good sample from all their albums - some in condensed medley fashion.  The show highlights were as follows:

1. North by Northwest.  This was by far their strongest performance, and, by no coincidence, one of my favorite tracks of theirs.

2. Loyalty + a slowdown transition to Loyalty II.  Geo rocked the transition and during the II part just spit the lyrics out with impecable flow.
3. When Geo stripped off his plaid flannel shirt to reveal a Nebraska shirt underneath.  Since I was wearing a Death Cab shirt with the Seattle skyline on it, I felt it a nice exchanged gesture.

4.  The debut of 4-5 new songs!  They sounded great.  To be honest, the OOF! EP didn't grab me as much as I had hoped, but the new tracks were great.  They featured some of Sabzi newer more smooth production stylings, but (thankfully) saw the return of a more aggresive lyrical delivery by Geo.

A great show - plus the first they did in 2010 - plus they debuted some songs - plus it only cost me $5!



No comments:

Post a Comment