BLOG HAS MOVED

This blog is now closed.

Please go to the new blog, Desert Island Mixtapes for all the latest posts.

Http://desertislandmixtapes.wordpress.com

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Songs With Strings #1

Songs with Strings #1
an ongoing MP3 series featuring good songs with good strings


For our first installment we turn to the early career of one of my favorites - Ben Folds, who, in my opinion, is one of the most talented songwriters and musicians of our time. One of his best songs came early - on his 1990 demo. It was a bluesy track called Kalamazoo. Great song, fan favorite, but the original sound quality left MUCH to be desired. Thankfully, in 2004 Ben re-recorded Kalamazoo and put it on Super D, the third in a 3-part EP project. Explaining the new recording, Ben Folds said the following:

There's a couple of demos of this song floating around for years. I wrote it when I was about 19 or 20. One of the demos is really upbeat, recorded with my old band, Majosha. The other one was a four-track demo that I made of the song by myself in my apartment. I had to consult that version a few times to work out how the hell I was going to play drums, bass and piano on this and stay in time. Got it worked out. I added strings because I could.

Personally, I love when the drums come in. This is one of my favorite Ben Folds solo tracks. Enjoy.


You can purchase this song on the original Super D EP.



Be a Pal and buy some Ben Folds or Ben Folds Five tunes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment