BLOG HAS MOVED

This blog is now closed.

Please go to the new blog, Desert Island Mixtapes for all the latest posts.

Http://desertislandmixtapes.wordpress.com

Friday, September 28, 2007

John Vanderslice - Kookabura and The Emerald City



Besides have a very cooler Dutch last name that I have ever heard, John Vanderslice is somewhat of an enigma to me.

I really enjoyed his 2005 Pixel Revolt, but I really don't like any of her solo ventures before that. However, at the same time I really like what he did in producing The Mountain Goats' We Shall All Be Healed (2004) and The Sunset Tree (2005).

So, it was with some scepticism that I gave Vanderslice's new solo album, Emerald City a listen. Generally speaking, it is a good album. Eclectic, eccentric . . . ecumenical (ok . . . I was just trying to think of another 'ec' word there . . . its in no way ecumenical). As I listened though, I kept on returning to the first track, wishing that the rest of the album followed more closely in its footsteps. I therefore offer you that first track, Kookabura. Enjoy and please support this fabulous indie artist by purchasing his album here.



1 comment: